Gulet Charter Patmos

Patmos Gulet Charter Guide Patmos Gulet Charter Guide

Patmos is known as the “island of the Apocalypse” or “Jerusalem of the Aegean”: John the Theologian, one of Christ’s disciples, exiled to this island by the Roman emperor Domitian in 95 AD, wrote the “Book of Revelation”, the last book of the New Testament in one of the island’s caves.

The “Cave of the Apocalypse”, as it is known today, is one of the most historic and impressive sites in Greece. Patmos was first inhabited in prehistoric times. During the Roman times it was a place of exile. In 1088, the Blessed Christodoulos founded the Monastery of St John the Theologian. Over time the island flourished and the first mansions were built in the late 16th century. The Patmos Seminary (or Patmian School) was built in 1713. The island officially became Greek territory in 1948. Area: 34 sq.km; coastline: 63 km; population: 3,000.
Chora
This small traditional town has been built around the monastery of Saint John the Theologian. It is one of the most beautiful and well preserved medieval towns found in the Aegean. The houses, built next to each other, have their windows placed high and leave room for narrow, mazelike paved alleys where you will find dozens of 15th-17th century churches, built with stone from Petrokopio (meaning stone quarry) and Manolakas. The roofs are made with timber from cypress trees and alternating layers of astivi (a kind of shrub endemic to Patmos), seaweed, and mud. Distance from Skala (the island’s port): 4.5 km S.

Patmos Map

Featured Gulets For Charter In Patmos Featured Gulets For Charter In Patmos