Gulet Charter Nisyros

Nisyros Gulet Charter Guide Nisyros Gulet Charter Guide

Astypalaia is the westernmost island of the Group, located exactly where the Dodecanese Islands meet the Cyclades Islands. This is why Astypalaia’s landscapes and architecture are quite similar to those found in Cyclades. It is naturally separated into Mesa Nisi [the inner island] (western part) and Exo Nisi [the outer island] (eastern part) by a thin strip of land less than 100 m. wide. Area: 97 sq. km; coastline: 110 km, population: 1,300.

The island was named after Astypalaia, the daughter of Phoenix and Perimede. In the old days the island was also called Ichthyoessa due to its abundant fishing grounds. It was first inhabited in prehistoric times. In 1204 it came under the Venetian rule enforced by the Guerini family until 1537 with the exception of a brief period in time (1269-1310) when the Byzantine Empire took over again. In 1537 the Turks occupied the island. As is the case with the other Dodecanese islands, Astypalaia remained under Turkish rule until 1912; it was then conquered by the Italians, the British, and the Germans until it was finally integrated in Greece in 1948. There are ferries to Piraeus and Kalymnos and flights to Athens and Rhodes Airports.
Mandraki
Beatiful Mandraki is the island’s capital town and port. Its squares feature amazing pebbled paving, and the narrow alleys are flanked by white or coloured two-storey houses with wooden balconies. The houses have been built using volcanic rock and have been insulated with pumice.

Nisyros Map

Featured Gulets For Charter In Nisyros Featured Gulets For Charter In Nisyros